About Enstone

The parish of Enstone is one of the largest in Oxfordshire, situated 15 miles north-west of the city of Oxford. The parish includes the villages of Church Enstone and Neat Enstone and the hamlets of Lidstone, Fulwell, Cleveley, Gagingwell, Radford, Broadstonehill and Chalford. The A44 Oxford to Stratford road passes through Neat Enstone at the centre of the parish.

Enstone was originally recorded as Henestan in the Domesday Book of 1086 and as Enestan and Ennestan in records held at Winchcombe Abbey from 1185. Although there are differing views on the origins of iq binary options techniques the word Enstone, it is generally thought to be of Anglo-Saxon origin. The general consensus is that the word originates from Enna's stone - 'Boundary stone of a man called Enna', although there is also the view that the words ent and stan literally mean giant stone. These both appear to refer to the Hoarstone situated at the corner of the Charlbury Fulwell road, where hidden amongst the trees there are three standing stones, the remains of a chambered long barrow. The tallest stone is almost 3 metres high above ground level. There are other stones in Lidstone, Broadstonehill and not far from here in Rollright.

Also located in Enstone at Whiteways Technical Centre is the site for the Renault Formula One Team. Constructed in 1992, the site is responsible for 90% of the construction of the Renault F1 car as well as the coordination of the race team, employing over 350 people. www.renaultf1.com

More about the history of Enstone